Roger Ballen, American, b. 1950
One of the most influential and important photographic artists of the 21st century, Roger Ballen’s photographs span over forty years. His strange and extreme works confront the viewer and challenge them to come with him on a journey into their own minds as he explores the deeper recesses of his own.
Roger Ballen was born in New York in 1950 but for over 30 years he has lived and worked in South Africa. His work as a geologist took him out into the countryside and led him to take up his camera and explore the hidden world of small South African towns. At first he explored the empty streets in the glare of the midday sun but, once he had made the step of knocking on people’s doors, he discovered a world inside these houses which was to have a profound effect on his work. These interiors with their distinctive collections of objects and the occupants within these closed worlds took his unique vision on a path from social critique to the creation of metaphors for the inner mind. After 1994 he no longer looked to the countryside for his subject matter finding it closer to home in Johannesburg.
Over the past thirty five years his distinctive style of photography has evolved using a simple square format in stark and beautiful black and white. In the earlier works in the exhibition his connection to the tradition of documentary photography is clear but through the 1990s he developed a style he describes as ‘documentary fiction’. After 2000 the people he first discovered and documented living on the margins of South African society increasingly became a cast of actors working with Ballen in the series’ Outland (2000, revised in 2015) and Shadow Chamber (2005) collaborating to create powerful psychodramas.
The line between fantasy and reality in his subsequent series’ Boarding House (2009) and Asylum of the Birds (2014) became increasingly blurred and in these series he employed drawings, painting, collage and sculptural techniques to create elaborate sets. There was an absence of people altogether, replaced by photographs of individuals now used as props, by doll or dummy parts or where people did appear it was as disembodied hands, feet and mouths poking disturbingly through walls and pieces of rag. The often improvised scenarios were now completed by the unpredictable behaviour of animals whose ambiguous behaviour became crucial to the overall meaning of the photographs. In this phase Ballen invented a new hybrid aesthetic, but one still rooted firmly in black and white photography.
In his artistic practice Ballen has increasingly been won over by the possibilities of integrating photography and drawing. He has expanded his repertoire and extended his visual language. By integrating drawing into his photographic and video works, the artist has not only made a lasting contribution to the field of art, but equally has made a powerful commentary about the human condition and its creative potential.
His contribution has not been limited to stills photography and Ballen has been the creator of a number of acclaimed and exhibited short films that dovetail with his photographic series’. The collaborative film I Fink You Freeky, created for the cult band Die Antwoord in 2012, has garnered over 85-million hits on YouTube. He has taken his work into the realms of sculpture and installation, most recently at Paris’ Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature (2017), Australia’s Sydney College of the Arts (2016) and at the Serlachius Museum in Finland (2015) among others.
Ballen’s series, The Theatre of Apparitions (2016), is inspired by the sight of these hand-drawn carvings on blacked-out windows in an abandoned women’s prison.
Ballen started to experiment using different spray paints on glass and then ‘drawing on’ or removing the paint with a sharp object to let natural light through. The results have been likened prehistoric cave-paintings: the black, dimensionless spaces on the glass are canvases onto which Ballen has carved his thoughts and emotions. He also released a related animated film, Theatre of Apparitions, which has been nominated for various awards.
In September 2017 Thames & Hudson published a large volume of the collected photography with extended commentary by Ballen titled Ballenesque Roger Ballen: A Retrospective.
In February 2017 the new Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa in Cape Town named its photographic facility the Roger Ballen Foundation Centre for Photography thereby ensuring that Ballen’s work and contribution will continue into the future.
Hamiltons Gallery – London, United KingdomDaum Museum of
Contemporary Art, Sedalia, United States
La ERRE Cultural Soace, Guatemala
Origins Centre Association, Johannesburg, South Africa
Guandong Museum, China
Akershus Kunstsenter, Lillestrom, Norway
Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
Tauranga Art Gallery, Tauranga, New Zealand
Biennial Fotografica Bogota, Columbia
John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota Florida, United States
Stadtmuseum + Kunstsammlung Jena, Jena, Germany
Gallery Momo, Johannesburg
Gallery Momo, Cape Town
Sydney College of the Arts, University of Sydney, Australia
James Fuentes, New York City, United States
Natalie and James Thompson Art Gallery, San Jose State University, San Jose, United States
Carpentier Gallery, Berlin, Germany
Galleria Massimo Minini, Brescia, Italy
Centro Fotografico Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Mexico
Von der Heydt-Kunsthalle, Wuppertal-Barmen, Germany
Southeast Musuem of Photography, Daytona, United States
Etherton Gallery, Tucson, United States
Central Academy of Fine Art Museum, Beijing
Anzenberger Gallery, Handmade Show, Austria
SIPF Gillman Barracks, Singapore
Photokina, Cologne, Germany
Foto Museo de Cuatro Caminos, Mexico City
Izzy Gallery, Toronto, Canada
Hydra and Fotografia, Mexico
SNAP! Gallery, Orlando, Florida, United States
Wei-Ling Contemporary, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
City Gallery Palffy Palais – Bratislava
Sunaparanta, Goa Centre for the Arts, India
TEA Tenarife Space of Arts, Tenerife
Barbado Gallery, Lisboa, Portugal
Zemack Contemporary Art, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Aura Gallery, China
Bogotá Photo Festival, Bogotá, Colombia
CAFAM, Beijing, China
Chazen Museum of Art, Wisconsin, United States
David Krut Gallery, Johannesburg, South Africa
Frigoriferi Milanesi, Milan, Italy
Fried Gallery, Pretoria, South Africa
Galerie Karsten Greve, Köln, Germany
Galerie Rudolphe Janssen, Masks, Brussels, Belgium
Galerie Senda, Barcelona, Spain
Kafka House, Prague, Czech Republic
Kyotographie, Kyoto, Japan
La Fabrica, Madrid, Spain
Montserrat, Barcelona, Spain
Museu de Arte Contemporânea, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
Museum of Image, Braga, Portugal
Photoink, New Delhi, India
Pori Art Museum, Pori , Finland
Serlachius Museum, Mänttä, Finland
Atlas Sztuki, Lodz, Poland
Christophe Guye Galerie, Zurich, Switzerland
Circa Gallery, Johannesburg
Festival de la Luz, Buenos Aires
Fotografiska, Stockholm, Sweden
Galerie Karsten Greve, Paris, France
Galerie Karsten Greve, One Man Show “Asylum of the Birds”, Paris Photo, France
Kulungwana, Maputo, Mozambique
Kunst- und Kulturzentrum Monschau, Aachen, Deutschland
Moscow Media Centre, Moscow Russia
Musée Nicéphore Niépce, Chalon-sur-Saône, France
Museo d’Arte Contemporanea di Roma, Rome, Italy
Museu Oscar Niemeyer, Brazil
Museum Dr. Guislain, Gent, Belgium
Museum Villa Stuck, Munich, Germany
Oliewenhuis Art Museum, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Paris Photo, Grand Palais, Paris, France
Samara State Art Museum, Samara
Tolyatti State Art Museum, Tolyatti
Belfast Photo Festival, Belfast, Northern Island
Galerie Clairefontaine, Luxembourg
Johannesburg Art Fair, South Africa
Maison De L’Image Documentaire, The CèTávoiR Association, Paris, France
Museum of Old and New, Hobart Australia
Nikolaj Copenhagen Contemporary Art Center, Denmark
Photoink, New Delhi, India
Pingao International Photography Festival, China
Palm Springs Art Museum, California, USA
Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, Washington DC, USA
Westlicht, Schauplatz fur Fotografie, Vienna, Austria
Perm State Art Gallery, Perm
ROBA Gallery, Omsk
ROSPHOTO Museum Exhibition Centre, St. Petersburg, Russia
Novosibirsk State Art Museum, Novosibirsk
Metenkov House, Museum of photography, Ekaterinburg
Erdmann Contemporary & the Photographers Gallery za, Cape Town, South Africa
Guate Festival, Guatemala de la Asunción, Guatemala
Kleinschmidt Fine Photographs, Wiesbaden, Germany
Kunstalle, Vienna, Austria
Manchester Art Museum, England
Marta Herford Museum, Herford, Germany
Musee de l Elysee, Lausanne Switzerland
Museu de Arte Moderna, Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Northwest University Museum, Potchestroom, South Africa
Novosibirsk Art Museum, Russia
Rosphoto, St. Pieterburg, Russia
Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Israel
Fahey/Klein Gallery, Los Angeles, California, USA
Fondazione Terre Medicee, Seravezza, Italy
Galerie Alex Daniels – Reflex Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Galleri Tom Christoffersen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Le Mois de la Photo à Montréal, Canada
Mc Dermott Gallery, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Museum Het Domein, Sittard, Netherlands
Omsk Museum, Russia
Sammlung Prinzhorn, Heidelberg, Germany
Centro de Arte La Regenta, Las Palmas, Spain
Comune di Arco/Galleria Civica, Italy
Festival of Photography of Savignano, Italy
Foundazione Terre Medicee, Italy
Galeria Max Estrella, Spain
Galeria Senda, Barcelona, Spain
Galerie Kamel Mennour, Paris, France
Galerie Sabine Knust, Munich, Germany
Gallery Photographer RU, Moscow, Russia
George Eastman House, Rochester, USA
Iziko South African National Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa
Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, USA
Lismore Regional Gallery, Australia
Photonet Galerie, Wiesbaden, Germany
Rooke Gallery, Johannesburg, South Africa
Sammlungsleiter Fotomuseum, Munich, Germany
Stenersen Museum, Oslo
Sydney Biennale, Australia
Ubuntu, Berlin, Germany
Ubuntu, Salzburg, Austria
University of the Orange Free State, South Africa
Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
Aura Gallery, Shanghai
City Museum of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Gagosian Gallery, New York, USA
Galerie Wolfsen, Denmark
Galerija Fotografija, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hamiltons, London, United Kingdom
Johnen Gallery, Berlin, Germany
Massimo Minini, Brescia, Italy
National Library of Australia, Canberra
Ontario College of Art and Design, Toronto, Canada
Triennale, Milan, Italy
University of Johannesburg, South Africa
University of Pretoria, South Africa
AEREA / Christian Larsen, Stockholm, Sweden
BWA Gallery, Katowice, Poland
Galeria vanGuardia, Bilbao, Spain
Hertzelia Artists Host Centre, Tel Aviv, Israel
Omaggio a Federico Vender at Palazzo dei Panni of Arco Trento
Su Palatu, Sardinia
Aura Gallery, Hong Kong
Art Gallery of Western Australia
Clint Roenisch Gallery, Toronto, Canada
Deichtorhallen, Hamburg, Germany
Galerie Photonet, Wiesbaden. Germany
Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, USA
Johannesburg Art Gallery, Johannesburg
Robert Klein Gallery, Boston
Trafo Gallery, Oslo, Norway
YOURS Gallery, Warsaw, Poland
Museum voor Fotografie, Antwerp, Belgium.
Deichtorhallen, Hamburg, Germany.
Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris.
The Consejería de Cultura y Deportes de la Comunidad de Madrid.
Atlanta College of Arts, GA.
Sheppard Fine Arts Gallery, Reno, NV.
Sasol Art Museum, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
Oliewenhuis Art Museum, Bloemfontein, South Africa.
Berlin Biennial, Berlin
Galerie Johnen + Schöttle, Cologne
Galerie Kamel Mennour, Paris
Guido Costa Projects, Torino
Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, USA
Photographer’s Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa
Sasol Art Museum, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Aura Gallery, Shanghai
Gagosian Gallery, New York
Reflex Gallery, Amsterdam.
Museum voor Fotografie, Antwerp, Belgium.
Frans Hals Museum, Amsterdam.
Durban Art Gallery, South Africa.
State Museum of Russia, St. Petersburg.
Roger Ballen Photographs, Berkeley Art Museum, University of California.
Le Chateau d’eau à Toulouse, France.
Dieci Comme Ltd., Tokyo.
Galleria Carla Sozzani, Italy.
Galerie Mennour, Paris.
Galleria D’arte Moderna Bologna, Italy.
Gagosian Gallery, Beverly Hills.
Musée Nicephore Niepce, Chalon-sur-Saone, France.
Museo Nazionalle Italy, Brescia, Italy.
Nuku Gallery, Oulu, Finland.
Museet for Fotokunst, Odense, Denmark.
Russian Museum, Museum Ludwig, St. Petersberg, Russia.
Museum for Contemporary Art, San Diego, CA.
Sala Rekalde, Bilbao, Spain.
Centro Cultural de Maia, O’Porto, Spain.
Gallery of Photography, Dublin, Ireland.
OUTLAND, Galleria d’Arte Moderna, Bologna, Italy.
OUTLAND, Gagosian Gallery, New York.
Rupertinum, Salzburg, Austria.
Goodman Gallery, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Fotoforum, Frankfurt, Germany.
Association for Visual Arts, Cape Town, South Africa.
Wurttembergischer Kunstverein, Stuttgart, Germany.
Kunstlerhaus Bethanien, Berlin.
Hasselbald Center, Goteborg, Sweden.
International Photo Festival, Herten, Germany.
Kicken Gallery, Berlin.
Michael Hoppen Gallery, London.
Encontros da imagem, Braga, Portugal.
Krefelder Kunstmuseen, Krefeld, Germany.
Printemps de Septembre, Toulouse, France.
Royal Theatre of Namur, Belgium.
Month of Photography, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Noordelicht, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Sani Festival, Greece.
Museum of Photography, Athens, Greece.
Fait & Cause, Paris.
Melkweg, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Month of Photography, Bratislava, Slovakia.
Month of Photography, Cape Town, South Africa.
Kunstal Museum, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Lumo ’98, Finland.
Eindhoven Photographic Festival, Holland.
Tarranto Gallery, New York.
Arles Photographic Festival, Arles, France.
Royal Festival Hall/Hayward Gallery, London.
Musée de la Chasse, Paris Hans Lemmen
Shadowlands, Etherton Gallery, Tuscon, United States
Dittrich & Schlechtriem, Roger Ballen with Asger Carlsen – No Joke, Germany
V1 Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark – Roger Ballen with Asger Carlsen – No Joke
Kendell Geers – Sindika Dokolo Foundation in Luanda
AIPAD -The Association of International Photography Art Dealers, New York, United States – Etherton Gallery
Paris Photo 2016 with Hamiltons Gallery, France
National Museum of History and Immigration, France
ZEITZ MOCAA – Die Antwoord, Cape Town
Galerie Rudolphe Janssen, Masks, Brussels, Belgium
The 12th stop, Samara Art Museum, Russia
SFA Galleries, Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
“Manomentr” Gallery, Moscow, Russia
Arezzo, Italy – as a part of the Photo Festival
Art of Others, Outsiders, Self Taught and Navive Artists, Haifa Museum, Haifa Israel
The Art of Photography Show, San Diego Art Institute, San Diego, California, USA, September 2012
Confounding: Contemporary Photography, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia, October 2012
Domestic Disorder in Contemporary Art, Musexpo, Gouggainville, France
Play, Turnhout, Antwerp, Belgium, Fall 2012
The Rise and Fall of Apartheid, International Centre of Photography, New York, USA, September 2012 – January 2013
Seeing Eye, Brundyn and Gonsalves, Cape Town, SA
Tender and Cruel, Tim Mellville Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand, May – June 2012
Traumwelten – In the Court of the King of Dreams, Kunsthalle HGN, Duderstadt, Germany
Twins, Center for Photography, Woodstock, New York, USA, June 2012
Novosibirsk State Museum of Local History, Novosibirsk, Russia
Krasnoyarsk cultural Museum Centre, Russia
Roba Gallery, Omsk, Russia
Chelyabinsk Museum of arts, Chelyabinsk, Russia
Metenkov Museum of photography, Ekaterinburg, Russia
Gallery of the American University in Paris, France
Eumeria Gallery, Ginza, Tokyo,Japan
High Speed Insanity, Blomquist, Oslo, Norway
National Gallery of Modern Art, Bengaluru, India
Real, Fotogalerie Wien, Vienna, Austria
Museu de Arte Contemporanea de Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Morgan Library & Museum, The Kasper Collection of Drawings and Photographs, New York, USA
Out of control, BIP 2010, 7th International Biennial of Photography and Visual Arts, Liege
PEEKABOO! Helsinki Art Museum Tennis Palace, Finland
7th Lane, Ellen-K Fine Art Photography, Norway
Skotia Gallery First Biennial Photography Invitational, Santa Fe, USA
Zacheta National Gallery, Warsaw, Poland
Untitled (Vicarious), Gagosian Gallery, New York, USA
After Nature, New Museum, New York USA
New York Photo Festival, New York USA
Cautionary Tales, Albuquerque USA
Roger Ballen, Alec South, Vera Lutter, Gagosian Gallery, New York (Chelsea).
Snaps, Goodman Gallery, Johannesburg South Africa
Dog Days of Summer, University of California Riverside/California Museum of Photography.
Making Faces, Musée de l’Elysée, France.
Citigroup Photography Prize, London.
Dislocation, Sala Rekalde, Bilbao, Spain.
Dislocation, Centro Cultural de Maia O’Porto, Portugal.
New Documentary Photography, Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
National Portrait Gallery, London.
La Natura della Natura Morta, Italy.
Recent Acquisitions, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Hall of Mirrors, Museet for Fotokunst, Odense, Denmark.
Portraits of Africa, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin.
National Portrait Gallery, London.
New Natural History, National Museum of Photography of Film &
Television, Bradford, United Kingdom.
Comment Jouer Enfermement, Maison Européene de la Photographie, Paris.
Double Vie, Double Vue, Fondation Cartier pour l’art Contemporaine, Paris.
South African National Gallery, Cape Town, South African.
- Roger Ballen, Wolfgang Petrick, Karlheinz Ludeking, Jens Pepper. Broken Home. Edition Carpentier/EC2, Berling, Germany. June 2016
- Roger Ballen. Fate. Museu de Montserrat. 28 July – 12 October 2015
- Roger Ballen’s Shadowland 1982-2014. Czech Centre for Photography. Kafka’s House, 3 February – 16 February 2015
- Roger Ballen: Retrospektiv / Retrospective. Nikolaj Kunsthal. 27 August – 3 November 2013
- Roger Ballen Playpen, North-West University, Potchefstroom, SA, 2012
- Shadowland Photographs, Manchester Art Gallery, 2012
- Roger Ballen at Modern Art Projects (MAP), Richmond, SA, 2011
- Roger Ballen. Seravezza Fotografia 2011, Palazzo Mediceo, Seravezza, Italy. January – April 2011
- High Speed Insanity: the exhibition. Blomqvist Fine Art, Oslo, Norway. June – August 2011
- Roger Ballen. Museu de Arte Contemporanea de Niteroi. 19 March – 15 May 2011
- Iziko South African National Gallery, 2010-2011
- Shadow Chamber, Galeria Senda, Barcelona, 2010
- (Re)construcoes: arte contemporanea da Africa do Sul. Museu de Arte Contemporanea de Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. March – May 2010
- Abitare Mondi – Living Worlds. Savignano Immagini Festival, Italy, 2010
- Massimo Minini, Sentences, 2010
- PEEKABOO! Current South Africa. Helsinki Art Museum Tennis Palace, Finland, 2010
- Roger Ballen Retrospective, Centro de Arte La Regenta, March – April 2010
- Skotia Gallery, First Biennial Photography Invitational. Skotia Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. May – June 2010
- Roger Ballen Storie. Museo Riva del Garda, Italy. June – August 2010
- Roger Ballen Fotografien 1969 – 2010, Munchner Stadtmuseum, 2010
- The Arresting Image. Pimsoll Gallery, University of Tasmania Centre for the Arts, 2009.
- Roger Ballen Retrospektiva 1982 – 2004, Mid-career retrospective & Boarding House. Gelrija Fotografia, Ljubjana, Slovenia, 2009
- Festival Punto Aparte, Bendita Locura, Italy. May – June 2009
- Darkroom, Photography and new media in South Africa since 1950, VMFA, 2009
- Roger Ballen: Boarding House. OCAD Professional Gallery, Ontario, Canada. March – May 2009
- Roger Ballen; 1982–2009, La Triennale di Milano, November 2009
- The Portrait: Photography as Stage, Vienna. July – September 2009
- Brutal, Tender, Human, Animal, National Library of Australia, Canberra, Australia. November 2008
- Dietro l’ombra: fotografie di Roger Ballen. Villanova Monteleone, Sardinia. 2008
- The Sorrow of Death, BWA Katowice, Poland, November, 2008
- Omaggio Federico Vender, Italy, 2007
- Reflex New Art Gallery, Amsterdam, 2005
- The Third Body, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Germany 2004
- The Photograph as Contemporary Art, UK 2004
- Roger Ballen: L’humanite pour pretexte. Toulouse, France. January – March 2004
- Lateral Thinking, Art of the 1990’s, Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
- Galleria Carla Sozzani, Milano, Italy January 2003
- Fact & Fiction, Galerie Kamel Mennour, Paris France, March 2003
- Photographers’ Gallery Press no. 2, Japan
- Das Geheimnis Der Photographie, Germany, 2003
- La Natura Della Natura Morta – Fotographia, Galleria d’Arte Moderna, Bologna Italy, 2002
- Dislocación – Imagen & Identidad Sudafrica, Spain, 2002
- National Portrait Gallery, John Kobal, Photographic Portrait Award 2002 Ten years: a celebration 1993 – 2002
- Africa Inside, Noorderlicht, The Netherlands, 2000
- A Thousand Hounds, Raymond Merritt & Miles Barth, 2000
- National Museum of Photography of Film & Television, United Kingdom, New Natural History, 1999
- Introduction to that Africa, Lionel Murcott, Mesiac Fotografie, November 1999
- Lumo ’98, Shadows, Finland, 1998
- South African National Gallery, Contemporary South African Photography, 1998
- Double Vie, Double Vue, Fondation Cartier pour l’art contemporain, 1997
- Suddeutsche Zeitung Magazin, Artist of the year, 2014 (See Issue 46, November 14 2014)
- Lucie Award, Finalist for Solo Exhibition of the year, George Eastman House, 2010
- PhotoEspana 2009, Madrid Spain, Honourable mention – Best Photographic Book of the Year
for Boarding House
- Art Directors Club Award Photography 2006
- Top 10 Exhibition 2004, Matthew Higgs, Artforum, December 2004
- Honorable Mention, UNICEF Photo of the Year 2004
- Top 10 Exhibition 2002, Vince Aletti, Artforum, December 2002
- Photographer of the Year 2002, Rencontres d’Arles, July 2002
- Photo-eye, Best Documentary Title, Best Photography Books of 2001
- Special mention : UNICEF Photo of the Year 2001
- PhotoEspana 2001, Madrid Spain, Best Photographic Book of the Year
- Sani Festival, Thessaloniki Greece, Best Solo Exhibition, February 2000
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Italy
- Central Academy of Fine Arts Museum, China
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
- The Jewish Museum, New York City, United States
- Pori Art Museum, Pori, Finland
- Serlachius Museum, Mänttä, Finland
- Berkeley Art Museum, California
- Biblioteque Nationale, Paris
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Alabama, USA
- Brooklyn Museum, New York, USA
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
- Durban Art Gallery, Durban, South Africa
- Fotomuseum, Munchen, Germany
- George Eastman House, Rochester, New York, USA
- Haifa Museum of Art, Israel
- Hasselblad, Goteborg, Sweden
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta, USA
- Johannesburg Art Museum, South Africa
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, USA
- Louisiana Museum, Denmark
- Maison Europeene de la Photographie, Paris
- Manchester Art Gallery, Manchester. United Kingdom
- MONA Museum, Hobart, Tasmania
- Musée de la Photographie á Charleroi, Belguim
- Musee de l’Elysee , Lausanne, Switzerland
- Museet for Fotokunst, Denmark
- Museo nazionale Della Fotographia, Brescia, Italy
- Museu de Arte Moderna do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Museum Folkwang, Essen, Germany
- Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, USA
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, USA
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA
- National Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa
- National Museum of Film and Photography, Bradford UK
- Palm Springs Art Museum, California
- Pushkin Museum, Moscow, Russia
- Oliewenhuis, Bloemfontein, South Africa
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Spencer Art Museum, Kansas, USA
- State Museum of Russia, Moscow, Russia
- Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam
- Tate Britain, London, UK
- Tel Aviv Museum, Israel
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London, UK
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Virginia, USA
- Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, USA
Ballenesque portrays the world of artist/photographer Roger Ballen. In eight segments the video reveals important elements that predominate his aesthetic.